Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What's a Vote Worth?

* Well, I'm disappointed I can't find the link to the article I read in our newspaper this morning. I thought I'd be able to find it on their website, but no dice. Sorry for the lack of supporting evidence! I voted last night. I'm not sure why it took me so long, but I finally filled out the ballot and sent it on its way. It felt pretty good. However, when I picked up the paper this morning, I found an article detailing the odds our votes will actually make any difference. Depending on where you live, your vote has worse odds of changing the outcome than you have of dying by a dog bite this year. Well, that's enlightening! Luckily, I'm under no illusion my vote in the presidential election will mean much. I'm cursed to live in a state that tends to vote a different path when it comes to things like that. I'm actually a whole lot more interested in what happens in our governor's race. Four years ago, the Democrats managed to buy the election somehow. After Dino Rossi, the Republican candidate, won twice, they paid for a second recount and somehow won. I know they argue that they didn't fix it in any way, but, please, doesn't that somehow seem a little weird to anyone else? My vote in this case has a much greater chance of making a difference than a dog bite killing me, so it's all rather exciting to vote for the governor. Not much time left to find out what happens! I'm proud to say I've never missed voting in any presidential election since I turned eighteen. This is by far the most interesting and fatiguing race I've yet witnessed. Thank heavens it's nearly over. One of two things will happen on the Big Day: my picks will win and I'll be cheering, or my picks will lose and I will get the great pleasure of saying "I told you so" when the other guys screw things up. Either way, I'm in for some fun. Now, get out there and vote!!

1 sonar pings:

Tressa said...

LOL! I posted about voting too. I figured I may as well post about it since I am not going to get a cute, little "I voted" sticker. Kidding aside, I do not like the way our state handles their elections. This 100% absentee just opens the door for fraud. I know that I am not the only one that feels that way. Anyway, I will be glad when the results are tallied.