Sunday, November 9, 2008

Can He Fulfill the Hype?

As stated before, I wasn't particularly thrilled to see Obama elected president. I do think it's rather cool our nation finally elected a black president, I just wish he hadn't turned out to be such a liberal-leaning one. It happened, however, so now I'm waiting to see how it's going to play out. Setting all that aside, however, I don't envy him the biggest task he's going to face: fulfilling all these heightened expectations. He really was a master when it came to utilizing music and slogans to energize people. Even I got a bit excited watching this video: I wonder, though, what people mean when they talk about all the "change" that's coming. Do they know what it is they really want, other than not George Bush? Or do they really not care as long as Obama is different? Which I'm sure he will be. I just wonder if the change he brings will bring more excitement or a lot of cursing. I'm hoping it will be more of the former than the latter, especially for the military, but I think he's got an incredibly difficult job ahead. If he doesn't pull a rabbit out of his hat right off the bat, people are going to start feeling let down. That is probably the most interesting thing to me right now. How is this really going to play out? Are these people singing his praises in the streets today going to keep backing him the first time he does something they don't like? What is his lasting power? I do hope he succeeds, but, wow, he's got a tough road ahead.

3 sonar pings:

The Mrs said...

I agree. I am curious to see how things play out. Hopefully the much anticipated "change" will be for the good. Time will tell.

Anonymous said...

I too wasn't a Obama supporter. But once elected there was an excitement that I felt that children of other races can now see that they too can be president which is definately inspiring. HOWEVER, recently I met with a man about insurance policy for health and we found out that he was a "consultant" for the democratic party with their healthcare policy and he explained to me that some of the healthcare stuff that they ran on as a platform was actually not realistic as to what they could do---he did suggest to them realistic goals and such that were awesome but with that being said he has a long road and tough decisions to make and I think that there are some things that are empty so I'm interested to see what happens in the near future.

Keri said...

I agree that it should prove interesting to see how things pan out over the next year or so...We've been saying for months that it seems practically impossible that he's going to accomplish half of what he claims he will.

One can always hope though.

Good luck buddy ;) You've got your work cut out for you.