Friday, February 26, 2010

Double Take

We ate dinner in the mess hall tonight. When you eat there, you're allowed to take a piece of fruit with you on the way out. We always pick bananas if they have them because even if they aren't the best specimens, we can bake with them or freeze them for smoothies. They did have them tonight, so we grabbed some and walked out. I happened to take a look at one of the stickers when we got in the car and did a double take: they read, "organic". I think that is the first time I've seen that label since moving here. Everything organic I use, like sugar, we've brought here ourselves or had shipped in. Nice surprise.

In other news, we ran out of dishwasher soap this week. The store has been out of tabs for awhile, and I hate using gels, so I finally ordered some online. I was hoping it would come by now, but it hasn't, so we are handwashing this weekend. Tonight, I did some searching and came up with this recipe for dishwasher soap. She said she's tried it without borax, which I can't buy here, so I substituted some lemon juice for the citric acid and loaded the dishwasher. I figure if it doesn't work, I'm just back to washing them by hand. If it does, though, I've found a good way to make do if we run out like this again.

2 sonar pings:

sues2u2 said...

I'm really impressed w/ your ingenuity. I never would have thought to look up a recipe for crackers (earlier post) or dishwasher detergent. Pretty cool.

Wife of a Sailor said...

So did it work out for you?