Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sick Day, Continued

Ugh. Wyatt is running a nasty fever and still puking. My boys don't get sick very often, so when they do, I kind of freak out about it. I don't think I've ever seen him so sick. Oliver is convinced a doctor won't do anything for him, and with how hard it is to get an acute care appointment at the hospital, I tend to agree; the Emergency Room is probably our only option, unless we want to wait a couple days to see someone. I'm not sitting in the Emergency Room for hours with a puking four year old and his scooting baby brother. I have a feeling that would be worse for him than anything they gave us there. The only thing he's keeping down is water. I wish we had some Pedialyte, but there's no way I want to leave the house with him right now. So, all I can do is sit around worrying, and I hate it. I'm so glad this sort of thing is a rare event around here!

2 sonar pings:

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog by accident. I've really enjoyed reading your posts.

I am very sorry that you have sick boys at your house. That's so not a fun time for anyone.

I am sure you know this, but only give your son a teaspoon of water at a time if he's vomiting. His tummy is probably very upset, and drinking too much can make him sick. So just give him a little bit at a time. That way, his tummy can rest, yet he can still get fluids and not dehydrate.

The only thing I could think that the doctor would do is possibly give him IV fluids if they think he is dehydrated due to the vomiting or diarrhea if he has it. But, at the same time, if he continues to vomit, you'll want to get him seen sooner than later.

Best of luck, I sure hope your little boy gets to feeling better soon.

j said...

good luck- if it gets too bad- take him to the er. they can start an iv on him and at least help with the dehydration- they can also give him an anti-nausea drug to keep puking down.

with k, we used watered down gatorade. we literally offered him a tablespoon at a time and if it came up, we were right back at it. every 15 minutes, we had that stupid spoon in his face.

hopefully it runs its course soon. but seriously- don't hesitate to use the er or at least call the peds dept to ask them what they'd advise. we called up here to elmendorf and talked to a peds nurse who told us to take him to the ready care clinic where we were. with the little people, it's always scary.

trust your mommy instincts- and good luck keeping yourself sane and feeling ok. :)