Saturday, July 31, 2010

When the Internet Goes, Cupcakes Win


So, I watched DC Cupcakes the other night. Never seen the show before, but thought it rather funny. At one point, the sisters started arguing about who was the better baker (in front of a customer, no less), then decided on a bakeoff. One of the cupcakes they made had a marshmallow frosting. When the sister making it listed the ingredients, I thought, "Hey, I have all that stuff, I can give that a try." There was no corn syrup involved, either, which made it even better. This morning, I decided I was going to give it a try. The only problem was I hadn't found a recipe online for the icing. Right before I went to make the cupcakes, our wireless went out.

This is a fairly common problem here, although it seems to happen a lot more often on the street we live now. Fro some reason, the tower we have to rely on now is a lot less reliable. Very frustrating, but there's not much we can do about it. Sometimes, these outages are only minutes in length, but sometimes they last for a day or more. This time around, it was about eight hours before it came back online. (Later in the day, I did take the laptop and drive to another street where there was a working tower and take care of something I had to do that day.)

When it first went out, I decided to go ahead and make the cupcakes anyway, since I had a recipe for that part. When it still wasn't back, and the natives were getting restless because we had all these yummy smelling cupcakes that I had declared off limits until the frosting was done, I gave up and just made some buttercream fro them. In an effort to change things up, though, I used peppermint extract in place of the vanilla.

Wow, why have I never thought to do that before? Seriously, it tasted like a peppermint patty. Fantastic. Goes to show that sometimes when your plans have to change mid-stream, they can still come out fabulous in the end.

So ends my life lesson taught by cupcakes and sketchy wifi.

0 sonar pings: