Saturday, May 28, 2011


I keep coming here with the intent to post and never finish it. So, I'm just going to ramble a bit and get off when I'm bored. Or someone interrupts me and I have to help them.

Wyatt is almost done with school. He's only got three days of actual school left, due to Memorial Day this Monday. Then, beach party Friday morning and graduation ceremonies that evening. And, we're done! I'm pretty excited to have him home all summer. We've missed having him around.

In order to keep the boys busy, as well as prevent brain drain this summer, I've got some things planned. We've got a set of Lego Robotics to delve into, a package with the beginnings of a trip around the world (basically, it follows two kids as they visit ten different countries - we'll get a package a month with a new country, but I'm also going to take the world map and plan some activities that will introduce them to other countries not covered), origami from an awesome package sent by a friend in Japan, and some other things.

I am doing this also because I've challenged myself to see if I have it in me to homeschool the boys. I am pretty sure I won't be sending them to public school when we go back to the States for a lot of reasons I don't feel like getting into right now. So, the only options for us are finding a good charter school or a private school we can afford, or homeschooling. Homeschooling is kind of a last resort, but I still think it is potentially better than public school if I can pull it off effectively.

So, I have to find that out and summer here is a great opportunity for that because of the lack of resources. It will challenge me to really work at coming up with stuff, so when we return to the States and I have the ability to go to the library (although, there is a reading program run by the Navy we're going to participate in in July), put the boys in sports, get music lessons, etc., plus museums and all that, it will hopefully seem easier. We will see.

In other news, I had a medical issue this last week and ended up having a blood test, EKG, and chest x-rays all on the same doctor visit. It was interesting because our dispensary is tiny. One doctor, a corpsman, and two nurses, plus a receptionist, run it. I remember the first time I needed to take one of the boys there. I called to get an appointment, and was told to just come down if I had the time. Turns out, no one needs an appointment. It's more like an emergency room, although you never wait more than a few minutes before you can see someone. When I had my tests done, I sat there and waited for the results with the corpsman and nurse. It was a weird thing to watch my x-rays come up on the screen and sent to the doctor who was down the hall to take a look at!

And in case you wondered, I'm fine. Got a clean bill of health. Just some freak thing that happened. The nurse said my heart looked very healthy, so guess the running is paying off.

And that's about all I got. Have a great weekend all!

0 sonar pings: